Play Winter Baseball
Welcome to a new season with the Mornington Pirates Baseball Club! We aim to create a warm and friendly family focused environment within our club, where people young and old can forge life-long friendships and a love of Baseball.
THE BASEBALL SEASON
We play Winter Baseball in the Dandenong Baseball Association (DBA). In 2022, the season starts:
- Juniors & Seniors: Saturday April 23
- Womens: Sunday April 24
The season finishes in August, with finals in September.
For everything you need to know for this upcoming season, download the Mornington Pirates Baseball Club Member Information Book:
Played on Saturday mornings 8:45am – 10:30am
- Age Groups: U11, U13, U15 & U18
- The cut off date for each age group is September 1st. This means that the player must be under the age of the group that they are playing in, as of September 1st in that year. For example, if a player turns 13 years old prior to September 1st, they will play in U15s
- Junior teams are MIXED so girls and boys play together
To enquire about Junior Baseball contact Jo Schutt on 0425 785 161
Played on Saturday afternoons and includes male & female players
- Players must be 14 years of age to participate in the Senior comp
- A1 – 2:30pm
- A2 – 12:00pm
- B1 – 2:30pm
- B2 – 12:00pm
- C1 – 2:30pm
- C2 – 12:00pm
To enquire about playing Senior Baseball contact Russell: 0413 328 915 or firstname.lastname@example.org
or Club Coach: Matt Hardie – 0401 825 929
Games are played on Sundays. Game times are either 10:30am or 1pm.
- Girls must be 13 years of age to play in the women’s competition
- We welcome Female Players of all ages and abilities
- Trainings on Thursday nights
To enquire about playing Women’s baseball contact Jo Schutt on 0425 785 161
Women’s Coach: Ben Campbell
Venue: Wilson’s Rd, Mornington
JUNIOR TRAINING: Tuesdays througout the season (4:15 – 6:15pm) with Thursdays (4:15 – 5:30pm) offered as an additional session.
SENIOR / WOMENS TRAINING: Thursdays (6-8pm). Players are welcome to get to all training sessions 30 minutes prior for early work and field preparation.
- Extra preseason training: Saturday April 9 & 16 (10am – 12pm)
Club dinners are held on Thursday nights for Juniors from 6pm and Seniors from 7:30pm. All players and family members are welcome. Only $10 pp
The DBA and Mornington Baseball Club have strict uniform policies so if you are unsure, please contact a committee member.
Onfield items available from the club (See Pirates Shop)
- Pirates Cap
- Pirates Jersey
- Pirates Warm-up / Training tops
- On occasion there may be a requirement for players to purchase a specific playing top for a special round such as the Penpraze round (applies to seniors only)
Other onfield essentials (available from Ausport, Fielders Choice, K2 or sports stores):
- White Pants
- Black socks
- Black Belt
- Any Undershirt worn must be black
- Cleats (Baseball shoes – juniors must wear molded sole, not metal. U18s, seniors and women can wear molded or metal cleats)
Off-field / supporter gear available from the club:
- Pirates Hoodie
- Pirates Softshell Jacket
- Pirates Beanie
For any questions, orders or requests, contact Ross Lewis: email@example.com
FEES & REGISTRATION
Login to your SportsTG account, if you don’t have one you will need to register. If you have any problems or questions, please contact Gemma Dowsett
● Playing Juniors only = $220
● Student / Concession / Juniors Playing Seniors = $300
● Seniors & Womens = $320
Fees must be paid before taking the field for round one. If you require assistance in the form of a payment plan, please contact Teresa Webster.
Active Kids Voucher: Families with a Health Care card can apply for the Active Kids Voucher
which pays $200 of your fees. https://www.getactive.vic.gov.au/vouchers/
The fixture will be live in the next week, but here’s the link to save…
Players and parents will be rostered on to do some kind of duty throughout the season. This will usually include umpiring & canteen duty however there may be other things required from week to week. If you, or a family member would like to volunteer for a specific role to assist your team, please contact:
- Jo Schutt for Juniors
- Matt Hardie for Seniors
- Gemma Dowsett for general roles around the club
We require the following roles to assist with teams on an ongoing basis:
- Head Coach
- Assistant Coach / Base Coaches
- Team Manager
- Scorer (or several to rotate for each team)
Every team requires a scorer each week. Some parents love scoring and will be happy to be the ‘team scorer’ however, it’s important that each team has more than one person who can do this. We strongly encourage parents to learn how to score as it also helps you gain a great understanding of the game and give you the ability to chat about it with your kids.
An incredibly valuable part of the baseball team. Although it’s difficult when your kids are playing, scorers must remain impartial & stay in the scoring area – it’s in the Playing Conditions that scorers sit together throughout the game. Scorers are allowed to inform the umpire when the pitcher is within 10 pitches of his or her pitch count, but that’s it.
The main role of the Team Manager is to communicate to all parents / players and coach each week. This includes
- Any relevant information that comes from the club
- When players are unavailable
- Changes in fixtures or venues etc.
You will also ensure the team has a scorer and ensure the coach provides the scorer with the lineup in a timely manner so the scorer can prepare for the game
It is also the responsibility of the Team Manager to submit the match reports to the MBC Secretary via email or text as soon as the match sheet is completed and signed by both Team Managers and Umpires.
MBC COMMITTEE & CONTACTS
President: Russell Johnson Send Email 0413 328 915
Vice President: Glen Bodey Send Email 0438 190 575
Secretary: Gemma Dowsett Send Email 0432 183 826
Treasurer: Teresa Webster Send Email
Club Coach: Matt Hardie
Junior Coordinator: Jo Schutt Send Email 0425 785 161
Merchandise: Ross Lewis Send Email
General Members: Chris Taylor, Mike Estes, Myles Dowsett
- Enthusiastic ‘Committee of Management’ dedicated to supporting the growth of the club and its membership
- Highest certification, Good Sports Level 3 Accredited Club
- Junior Program that develops young players into highly motivated and talented baseball players
- We currently have nine dedicated coaches who are NCAS Level 3 Accreditated with Baseball Australia
- Magnificent grounds with two upgraded playing diamonds
- Excellent club facilities with ample off street parking, playground and BBQ
- Regular social events with a family-orientated club culture
DOCUMENTS & RESOURCES
Looking for something? Check the range of club documents and coaching resources.
If you come across something you think we should share, please email firstname.lastname@example.org
We are always looking for volunteers and encourage anyone interested in being involved in the club to learn more about how you can assist.